Rules of Love
Rite of Reconciliation
- We confess our sins after saying, "Bless me Father, I have tried hard to be good but I have committed some sins."
- Be honest with the priest, who will keep what you tell him a secret.
- The priest represents Jesus and the whole community of the Church, and speaks the words of forgiveness on behalf of everyone.
- The priest may ask questions or offer advice because he wants to help.
- The priest will give you a penance, something to do or say to help "make up" for your sins.
From Papa Francis: Finding the Word
In preaching about the Good Samaritan, Pope Francis said, “Open up your heart and listen to what God is saying to you. Allow your life to be 'written' by God. Just as the Good Samaritan did when he stopped to help the stranger, we must all listen to God’s voice and sometimes put our own projects on hold to do his will.” He continued, “Do you have the capacity to find the word of God in the story of each day? Or are your ideas the ones that you hold up and you do not let the surprises of the Lord speak to you?”